Free Will and The Believer

>> 12 November 2008

Yielding to Sin
If the believer walks by the Spirit, he will not gratify the desires of the old sinful nature, which is still
within him. However, if he fails to walk by the Spirit, then he will be much more inclined to yield himself
to sin. To see the truth of this, we need only consider the number of times we deliberately choose
wrong instead of right, or evil instead of good. Again, we can see this truth in the times we harbour sinful
thoughts in our hearts—and continue to dwell on them—instead of dismissing them from our minds.
We see it, too, in the times we seek our will, instead of God’s will. All these are deliberate exercises of
our free will. They demonstrate that the old sinful nature is still very much present within us. They illustrate
our constant need of the Holy Spirit’s sanctification, and of the cleansing blood of Christ in continuing
within us the work of redemption.
Acts of the Sinful Nature
God's Word tells us to put to death the deeds of the sinful nature (or the ‘flesh’). To the end, the Scripture
says:
Colossians 3:5
(5) Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness,
inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness,
which is idolatry: (See vv.1-4)
Colossians 3:8-10
(8) But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy
communication out of your mouth. (9) Lie not one to another, seeing that
ye have put off the old man with his deeds; (10) And have put on the new
man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created
him: (Cf. v.10 with Eph. 4:23-24)
These are just some of the acts of the sinful nature of which we can be guilty—in thought, attitude,
word or deed—by the exercise of our free will. However, the Scripture also says:
Galatians 5:13-14
(13) For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an
occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. (14) For all the law is
fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
{Lev. 19:18} (See vv.1-15)
Bible Truths Explained: Free Will
BTE04: Free Will 22 1.1.05
These Will Not Inherit God’s Kingdom
The Scripture goes on to warn that those who persist in exercising their free will to indulge the sinful
nature will not inherit the kingdom of God. Thus, God’s Word says:
Galatians 5:19-21
(19) Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; adultery, fornication,
uncleanness, lasciviousness, (20) Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance,
emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, (21) Envyings, murders,
drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I
have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not
inherit the kingdom of God. (See vv.16-18; cf. 1 Cor. 6:9-10; Eph. 5:5;
Rev. 21:7-8)
Putting to Death Sinful Desires
Again, God’s Word says:
Galatians 5:24-25
(24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and
lusts. (25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. (See vv.22-
26; cf. vv.24-25 with Rom. 6:6-7,11-14; 8:8-10)
Of course, we cannot crucify the desires of the sinful nature merely by our own strength or ability.
However, we must endeavour to do it by relying upon the power and ability of the Holy Spirit who works
within us.
War Between Old and New Natures
However, during our life on earth, a constant conflict or spiritual warfare will always exist between the
desires of the sinful nature (the old man), and the desires of the Spirit of holiness. Thus, God’s Word
says:
Romans 7:14-20
(14) For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
(15) For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I
hate, that do I. (16) If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the
law that it is good. (17) Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth
in me. (18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good
thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I
find not. (19) For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would
not, that I do. (20) Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but
sin that dwelleth in me. (See vv.1-13)
Romans 7:21-25
(21) I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
(22) For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: (23) But I see another
law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing
me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. (24) O
wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this
death? (25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the
mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. (See
Rom. 8:1-9)
Bible Truths Explained: Free Will
BTE04: Free Will 23 1.1.05
To the same purpose, the apostle Paul says to the believers at Galatia:
Galatians 5:16-17
(16) This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the
flesh. (17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the
flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do
the things that ye would. (See v.18; cf. Rom. 6:15-23; 8:1-17)

0 komentar:

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP